Tuesday, June 18, 2013

At last!

My turn on the computer at last! The children have taken it over recently to use for watching movies. Between the acrid smoke from burning the dead chickens last week, the biting gnats and now a miserable cold, we have been spending a lot of time indoors watching Leapfrog, Thomas the Train, Sid the Science Kid and The Magic School Bus. But in all honesty, it has been good for me. (I tend to be much more productive when I am not checking facebook or email throughout the day.)

Along the lines of being more productive... I have started work (with TONS of help from Eric) on a small garden behind my house. I am hopeful that I will be be able to keep up with it, and am only growing a couple of different things to basically be used for fresh salads, homemade goat cheese and omelets. . (It's very strange having plenty of eggs for our family... not enough to sell, but plenty to eat. Kind of a blessing in disguise, I guess.)

The garden has taken over what I had hoped would be a back porch, but ended up collecting the season clutter instead. So it will clear up an area that desperately needs it, and since it is right outside my back door, it will be easier to take care of as well.

At this point, I have two heirloom tomatoes to plant, one jalapeno, two lemon cucumbers and some blue jade corn. I'll also stick in some radishes and carrots, and since the garden is made out of cinderblocks, I am going to fill each of the holes with dirt and use them to plant an herb garden. I also have my horseradish 'bush' growing there, and this year, the sunflowers will go into the garden as well.  I've got some squash to plant too, but I'll have to find somewhere else for that to go!

I still have a lot of work to do on it, but when it is all done and cleaned up, I will post some photos for you!

All in all, I am enjoying summer - there is a lot of work to be done, but we work on what we can each day (and the kids are being very helpful by limiting my distractions on the computer...)

Hope all is going well for you, and that you'll come over and enjoy some homegrown food later this summer.

~Cora

No comments:

Post a Comment