So.... go figure, we joined the homeschool group and the very first week we all caught a cold... actually, from the sounds of it, the majority of the homeschoolers ended up catching it. I did okay through the first week, but it seems to have hit full force today. Fortunately, or in some ways, unfortunately, the kids are all feeling better..So today I am spending the day homeschooling with a head cold...
My version of school today is consisting of sitting on the couch in the nice, warm sunshine (I love sunshine when I'm running a fever) and letting Laeliana 'style' my hair, (thankfully I got it cut a few weeks ago, so it isn't anywhere near as long when the time comes to brush out the tangles,) while Terran works on his math book and Everest puts 200+ flashcards in numerical order and Gage looks at his book, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.
In a little while, the kids will make some lunch (anyone remember home-ec classes? ;) ) and then we'll have quiet time and the children can read their new library books and I'll get some real rest. But for now, this is working nicely.
I think one of the things that is so nice about homeschooling is that the kids are using their skills everyday, in real life situations - it isn't just about writing answers in a work book or memorizing facts for a test - they put the knowledge to use every day. And on top of that, they are learning to work as a team.
Days when Mom isn't feeling good are hard for us all, but in all honesty, they may be the days that we learn the most...
No comments:
Post a Comment