Sunday, February 17, 2013

At the risk...

At the risk of coming across like a crazy back-woods hippie... I think I am going to try this recipe for homemade deodorant.

As I continue to struggle with breathing problems that have the doctors mystified, I am looking more and more into lifestyle... specifically a more natural lifestyle. Our whole family is being more careful about what we eat and about the cleaning products we use, but the chemicals in our every day life go so much deeper than just what we ingest or breathe in...

Did you know that it takes less than a minute for a chemical applied to your skin to get into your bloodstream? Ever read the ingredients on a "hypoallergenic" lotion? Yikes! That stuff is getting into your blood... and that means those chemicals are coursing through your body! And the chemicals in deodorant/antiperspirant are bad! Check out these common ingredients...
  • Aluminum – This is the primary ingredient. It has been linked to breast cancer and increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
  • Parabens – This synthetic preservative is found in so many personal care products. Paraben exposure has also been linked to birth defects and organ toxicity.
  • Propylene glycol – This is a petroleum based material. In large quantities, studies have shown that it can cause damage to the central nervous system, liver, and heart.
  • Phthalates – Another class of chemicals that have been linked to a variety of health issues including birth defects.
  • Triclsoan – This chemical is actually classified as a pesticide by the FDA and a probable carcinogen by the Environmental Protection Agency.

Now, I have always been a skeptic when it comes to 'natural' anything... natural healing, natural medicine, natural lifestyles... but with the recent decline in my health, and the treatments the doctors are recommending (like severely mood altering asthma medication when I don't seem to have asthma!) are making me look a little deeper into the natural ways of life.

Anyhow... there is my rant for the day. And for those who are interested... here is the recipe. I'll let you know how it works.

Homemade Deodorant for Sensitive Skin

You’ll need:
1/3 cup coconut oil
2 Tbs baking soda (You can even use less if you have super sensitive skin…)
1/3 cup arrow root powder
10 – 15 essential oils (optional)
a small mixing bowl and spoon
a small container for your finished product

Directions:
1. Mix the coconut oil, baking soda, and arrow root powder in the small mixing bowl. Use the back of the spoon to help “cream” the ingredients until you have a consistency similar to deodorant.
2. Mix in essential oils.
3. Put mixture in small container

To use simply swipe two fingers gently into the mixture and rub on your underarms. Wait two minutes before dressing to avoid any smearing on your clothes.

Note: Coconut oil melts when temperatures get warmer. Some people like to keep their deodorant in the fridge during warm months. I don’t bother since I can still use it… even if it gets a bit melty during those hotter months.

No comments:

Post a Comment