Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Memories

Today is a day of memories for me..... Mainly of my grandma.

The highlight of April Fools day when I was a child was running over to my grandma's house first thing in the morning and telling her there was a blue heron on the pond. She would always rush to the window and look out, at which point, I would gleefully exclaim "April Fools!" To this day, I still don't know if she ever believed me or not (Although, admittedly, that crazy heron did often show up on April 1st) but the memory still makes me smile. I even thought about calling my mom up this morning and telling her a heron flew over to the pond this morning...

Along the same thoughts this morning, memories of my childhood and my grandma... I watched a killdeer running behind the house. I remember chasing them as a child, the noise they made, the way they dragged their wing to lead me away from the nest, and the pretty little speckled eggs I would find in the tall grasses.  And I remember one of the only times I really made my grandma mad... The time I finally caught one of those pretty little baby birds. Oh, how angry she was! And oh, how I learned my lesson. Two lessons actually.... One - never touch a baby bird because it's momma won't ever take it back, and two - never make grandma mad!

I miss my grandma terribly. She was my closest friend and my unwitting partner in crime. More often than not, the trouble I got into was sparked by the stories she read to me, and I still have so many days when I think, I should tell Grandma about that. Every time I see a robin, every time I read a story about an amazing person.... So many times each day I think of her. She was the reason I started this blog.

I'm thankful for the memories I have of her, and I'm thankful to my parents and grandparents (and that title includes Eric's parents and grandparents as well!) for offering my children the chance to have those memories.

So, to all of you out there willing to make a fool of yourself to make a child smile.... Thank you. And happy April fools day.

1 comment: