Monday, December 22, 2014

DIY Laundry Detergent

I've been checking into alternatives to the expensive, over perfumed laundry detergents for a while and finally decided to try making my own. (I tried soap nuts, and while they work great, I can not keep track of the little bag that they go in!)

So, for my sake, and for anyone else who might be interested, I'm posting the ingredients and directions here. Everything was mixed together in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and then we refilled the oxy-clean container to use in the laundry room.

55oz super washing soda
64oz baking soda
76 oz borax
56oz oxy-clean (we used the generic)
11oz (2 bars) fels-naptha soap

Grate fels-naptha soap as finely as possible. (We grated it, and then ran it through the food processor)

Mix washing soda, baking soda, borax, oxy clean and grated fels-naptha in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid.

Mix REALLY well.

Use 1/2 - 1 oz (1-2 tablespoons) per load (we are reusing the oxy-clean scoop), dumping it into the barrel of the washing machine rather than the soap dispenser (I've read in several places that it will clog it up...)

This took about 20 minutes to make, should make enough detergent for 250-500 loads depending on how much you use, and it cost us less than $20 for all the ingredients!

I'll post back in a week or so and let you know what we think.

No comments:

Post a Comment