Friday, December 14, 2012

Making Vinegar - Part 1

Okay, okay... I'm learning the part of a back-woods hippie quite well (must come naturally or something) and in my quest to become more independent of the grocery store, I ran across an article on how to make your own cider vinegar. Usually, I go ahead and pay the extra to get real, non-distilled cider vinegar (Braggs is the only brand at our store...) but at $6 for 1 quart, it's adds up quick.

So, when I found this recipe that literally requires water, sugar and apple scraps, I figured it was worth a try.

Here is the recipe for those of you interested, as well as the link if you want to learn a little bit more.

I made mine in a 1/2 gallon pickle jar...

Thoroughly mix1 quart of water and 1/4 cup sugar. Add enough apple peels and cores (I actually used some very wrinkled, yucky looking apples that would have been diced up for oatmeal)  to be just covered by water.  (And I added a couple of tablespoons of the Braggs vinegar I already have just to speed things up a bit. You don't have to do this part though.)

Place a weight on the apples to keep them submerged (Since I am using a 1/2 gallon jar, I filled a pint jar with rice and put a tight lid on it for a weight)  then, place the jar (NO LID!!!) in a dark, cool place. (Aim for about 65* and YES dark is very important!) After about a week, it's supposed to develop foam on the top and possibly some black mold spots (the mold is normal,  but not necessary - theory says if it is kept cool enough, the mold won't grow.)

After the foam has developed, you are supposed to strain the liquid into sterilized canning jars. Then you cover the jars with a cheesecloth (allows the yeast to breathe) and you stash the jars for about 6 weeks. After 6 weeks, you can put a regular lid on the jars and store the vinegar indefinitely.

Really not much to it.

So.... I've cut my apples, mixed my sugar and water and put my jar in a cool dark place.... I'll let you know in a week how it is going.

For those interested.... here is the link where I found the recipe: Make Your Own Apple Cider Vinegar

6 comments:

  1. That sounds pretty easy...Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quick update! I checked my vinegar project this morning... no foam yet. (I know, it's early... I was curious!) I'd make a guess that the area I'm keeping it stays around 60*. I'll check it again on Friday and let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay... Friday has come and there is nary a sign of foam on my vinegar. The recipe suggests keeping it a bit warmer than I have been, so I am going to try moving it to a slightly warmer place and giving it a few more days. One the bright side though... it smells like vinegar, not rotten apples. (Could be the vinegar that I added at the beginning, but hey... it still smells like vinegar!) I'll let you know what it's doing in a few more days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another update! Still very little in the way of foam... I'm going to let this batch sit a little longer and see what happens. Meanwhile, I will start another batch and start it out in a warmer spot. Wondering if that makes the difference. I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never did get around to making that second batch... the first developed green fuzz instead of foam and I pitched it into the compost pile. However, I had some extra apple scraps today and tried again. I'm keeping it in a warmer spot this time. We'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So... I don't know why this republished, but a quick update is in order! I have been making my own vinegar successfully for close to two years now. I found a better place to keep it where the temperature a bit warmer and have discovered that a consistent temperature is key. My vinegar's ph tests almost identical to that if Braggs organic cider vinegar and has a slightly sweeter taste when properly aged. So, all in all, I'd call this a raging success!

    ReplyDelete