Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Ahhhh....

Ahhh... naptime.

We're slowly getting back to our summertime routine. As our family changes each year, so does the routine, but it seems to always follow a similar pattern... and  I like it.

It is naptime now... always right after lunch, and a much anticipated point in my day.

I like naptime. It is a time of peace in an other wise restless house, a chance to rest my wearied body, a time to check in with friends, and most importantly for me, a time to just sit and listen.

It is amazing what I can hear when the hustle of daily life pauses for a moment. Dogs barking as an old truck rumbles by on its way to deliver hay to the nearby cattle, the wind that is blowing clouds in to cool the afternoon, and the steady clink, clink, clink of the clips the hold the net on the trampoline... sounds that make up the world outside. Then, if I listen a little bit deeper, past the bird calls and the rustling fields, I can hear the last gurgles of the coffee pot reminding me that there is a hot cup of coffee waiting for me,  I can hear the steady breathing of the children that are having an adventure in dreamland, and the contented purring of the cat that has found the crook of an arm to cuddle in... sounds of the world inside my home. And still deeper, as I listen past the ticking of the clock on the wall and the turning of pages in the dear old Bible,  I can hear a voice calling to me... beseeching me to come and sit and rest at the feet of Jesus.

It's that call that look forward to each day at naptime... God is waiting. Waiting just for me... and He is here, every day... waiting patiently for naptime to come. Waiting for me to rest in Him...

No comments:

Post a Comment