Monday, May 28, 2012

Rest and Review

It's been a day of rest for my body... much needed after a busy weekend! And it's been a day of review for my mind. Maybe not needed, but enjoyable none the less. I have spent the day sitting in my chair covered with a blanket and lost in my dreams and schemes. Things I want to do outside this summer, things I need to do inside this summer, and eventual goals for both inside and out. (Probably not for this summer though...)

God has been so good to us, and His blessings are overflowing... which means I need to take action! There is a chicken yard to expand...Praise God! Not only have we been blessed with being able to raise chickens, but they are all healthy and growing well. We were also given a beautiful rooster recently! That brings us up to 21 total (a good number to start with, but if God allows, we may add a few more!) and the chicken house is too small to last much longer. But it was built with the intention of adding on and it's getting to be time to do that. We also need to expand the yard in all directions. (This means up as well, if we can work it out to get the yard framed all the way around.) A lot of this part will be Eric's job... but I want to help! (And I'm lousy at fencing!!!) So I've decided that I'm going to try to make a raised rock bed along the front of the chicken yard... Helpful huh?

Anyhow, I'm sitting here dreaming about what it is going to look like. Another blessing from God... we were given several very pretty lilacs to plant... which ended up in front of the chicken yard as well... so I think I'll go ahead and raise up a bed around the lilacs and then as I can, I'll fill it with dirt (another project... our dirt here is pretty much inhospitable... unless you are a thistle, so I'll have to haul it in.) and then maybe later this fall I'll transplant all my daffodils into it. So eventually, as the lilacs fill out and I add more and more flowers to it, it would cover the view of the chicken yard from the road. And if I can get the area around it all cleaned up, it would actually be quite pretty. What a thought! A pretty chicken yard! (Actually, I must admit I have seen several beautiful ones!!!) One goal/dream out of many...

As far as inside dreams go... We were again blessed by God when we were given a very pretty spinet piano. Ever since I was a child and we got rid of the organ that was by the front door, I have wanted a piano... and God saw fit to give us one... but unfortunately, I don't know how to play the piano... so that is another looming goal... I want to learn to play! This really doesn't take much planning, but it does take a lot of practice... which takes a lot of time. And I have discovered that I am very good at loosing track of the time. So, opposite from most children who are required to practice the piano... I have had to set a limit and only get to play it when my chores are done. A good limit, but hard to enforce... I have four kids! My chores are never done!

And on that note... I really should uncurl from my chair and get some chores done. There is a stack of dishes in the sink, laundry to be hung out on the line (if the smoke ever dissipates) and dinner to get planned... and then there is always gardening and practicing the piano!

Hope you are having a great day and that you take a few minutes to dream today!

No comments:

Post a Comment