Thursday, August 2, 2012

Happy As A Clam

 

Our little family has grown fast... We went from 9 of us (6 humans, 2 dogs and a cat) to 50 ( Still 6 humans, 2 dogs and a cat, but we've added 10 goats and 40 chickens) in a few short months...

And we love it! The kids are enjoying drinking the fresh goats milk... in fact, Laeliana kept asking me "where is the goats cocoa?" (To which I replied... goats don't drink cocoa - hehe!) And while the goat cheese has taken some adjustments, the taste is becoming less distinguishable to the picky palates, and thoroughly enjoyed by the rest of us. And the fresh eggs are fantastic! We really didn't plan on getting eggs this early, but when we saw the conditions of our latest additions (poor things were in a dry, sandy lot in a driveway in Aztec! They are missing many feathers and have horrible mites in their feet!) we had to bring them home with us. And much to my surprise, they are laying well and have the prettiest eggs! Some very small and light pink, others extra large and a beautiful shade of turquoise. So we get to enjoy our very own fresh eggs as well. (And thank you so much to Jennifer Zelhart! You have kept my family well supplied with fresh eggs all this time! We're still hoping to add a few more of your laying hens to the flock!)

The chores are shared by us all - Eric and I are splitting the milking chores (I milk in the morning, he milks in the evening, and while I do much of the daily chores, he does the larger, harder jobs like keeping hooves trimmed and building coops.) Much to the kids dismay, they haven't been able to participate much in the milking, but they enjoy letting the chickens out and feeding all the animals handfuls of grass (dogs and little brother included) and now that we are beginning to gather eggs, that will soon be a chore they get to help with as well.

What else has been going on here? A little bit of everything... we're planning a party on August 18th - please join us if you can! And our school year starts back up on August 13th! I can't believe Terran is starting Kindergarten already! And Everest is in the 2nd grade!!! It's amazing how quickly time goes by! Anyhow, once school starts back up, we will be spending a bit more time online- so email will start getting passed back and forth, and if you are interested in keeping up with what's going on, let me know, and I'll try to keep you posted.

Other than that, we plan to go fruit picking on the 11th... fresh peaches, plums, pears and apples from a friends orchard in New Mexico - it'll be a full day of fruit, friends and fun! I'm looking forward to seeing an old friend and the kids are looking forward to making new friends (she has kids just their age!)

Oh yeah... and we finally got Laeliana moved back into her own room! (She's been back in our room for the last few weeks while we fixed up a daybed we got for her on freecycle and moved in a dresser from some friends of our!) Horray! She has a little girl bedroom again! Now for some pretty wall art and a few pink totes for her to store her toys in under the bed - and we'll be all done!

Like I said... a little bit of everything. I'll post this now, but check back in later this week... I want to take a few photos of the critters - husband and kids included.

My love to you all and God bless!

~Cora

No comments:

Post a Comment