Okay... You're probably getting sick of recipes and posts about goats, but I've got another one to share! I made my ideal goat cheese! It's firm enough to slice, is mild in flavor and it's easy to make!
Here is the recipe... you could make this with regular cows milk as well... if you do, will you let me know how it comes out?
1 Gal fresh milk
1 c. buttermilk
Mix well and heat to 190* stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
When milk reached 190* add:
1/4 c white vinegar
Stir until well mixed. Milk should begin to curdle immediately. Allow to sit undisturbed until cooled to 120*
When curds are solid, strain through a cheesecloth and allow to drip until no more whey drains out. (I tied my cheesecloth to one of the racks in the fridge and let it drain into a pot overnight.)
When curds are done draining, they should be solid enough to slice.
The flavor of this cheese is creamy and mild, and the texture is solid enough to eat slices, but still soft enough that you can crumble it up onto salads quite easily. (Speaking of salads... I may have to add some buttermilk ranch seasoning to this cheese next time... especially for salads!)
Even my picky princess asked for seconds... I have a feeling this will be the standard recipe here... although I do enjoy the ricotta as well. (The last batch had fresh jalapenos and red pepper flakes in it!)
No comments:
Post a Comment