That's all I'm asking from you.
Just give me the strength
To do everyday what I have to do.
Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus
And tomorrow may never be mine.
Lord help me today, show me the way
One day at a time.
The lyrics to this song come back to me every time I am feeling overwhelmed, which lately seems to be more often than not. We used to listen to this song as a child and I look back now at all the music – Amazing Grace, How Great Thou Art, Rock of Ages, Softly and Tenderly… all those simple, beautiful songs that we would listen to, and I realize that I never understood what it was trying to say until I got saved.
Sure I could sing all the words and knew all the right notes, but the difference you become aware of when those songs can be called your own is astounding. When I got saved all the sudden, that Amazing Grace had been applied to my life, my soul, and I understood why the lyrics touched so many people’s hearts and brought them to tears. As I write this, thinking about that day when that Grace became mine, my eyes fill with tears and my throat tightens up. When I think of the words
Just as I am, without one plea,
but that thy blood was shed for me,
and that thou bidst me come to thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
Just as I am, and waiting not
to rid my soul of one dark blot,
to thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
I finally understand what it means to come to God as I am, filled with sin and darkness and not being able cleanse myself, but in desperate need of that perfect blood that was shed for ME on Calvary.
Those old hymns that I loved as a child have taken on a whole new meaning to me now. I loved them as a child because they told a beautiful story and wrought emotion in those around me. Now as a saved child of God, those hymns tell MY story of what Jesus did for me the day I accepted His free gift of salvation.
And that day is one that I will cherish forever.
Thank you, Lord, for saving my soul,
Thank you, Lord, for making me whole;
Thank you, Lord, for giving to me
Thy great salvation so rich and free
Thank you, Lord, for making me whole;
Thank you, Lord, for giving to me
Thy great salvation so rich and free

No comments:
Post a Comment