Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Solving problems

Grandma Jean and I had a conversation a while back about bread... As the avid and the Apprentice Bakers discussed recipes, methods and all other manner of baking related things, the topic of raisin bread came up... and the question of how they get the telltale swirl into the store bought loaf of cinnamon raisin bread without the loaf falling apart when you cut into it. So today as I was kneading an extra large batch of bread, I realized what was missing from my cinnamon raisin bread!

Water!!!

So I mixed up a batch of my favorite dough, and when it had doubled in size, I kneaded down and rolled it out. Then I pressed the raisins down (and rolled them with the rolling pin for an extra firm hold) and sprinkled it with cinnamon. Then... and here's the trick... I sprayed the whole thing with water (I used a standard squirt bottle... the one I use to mist my plants) and rolled it up. After that it rose again and I baked it according to the bread recipe's direction... and SUCCESS! The addition of some extra water solved the problem! The loaf baked up beautifully, sliced smoothly, and had that telltale swirl of cinnamon and raisins!

Yum! Cinnamon raisin bread for breakfast... here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment