Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Buttermilk Drop Biscuits

Mmmm... nothing like fresh, homemade biscuits with butter and jelly.

I tried this recipe for the first time today, and I love it! It is a soft enough dough to do drop biscuits (which I prefer over rolling them out) and it is light and fluffy... and of course, meets my main requirements... cheap and easy!

Buttermilk Drop Biscuits

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 c shortening
1 cup buttermilk (or 4 Tbsp powdered buttermilk, 1 cup water)

  1. Blend your dry ingredients until well mixed.
  2. Cut in the shortening until mixture resembles course grains (like cornmeal)
  3. Add your liquids and mix LIGHTLY  (This is the key to light biscuits!)
  4. Drop by large spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet.
  5. Bake at 450* until golden brown.
When I made these, I made 12 very large biscuits. (You could easily make 18) And recipes like this are great to add things to! Jalapenos and cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, chives and cream cheese... the possibilities are limited only by your palate! (I may even try to make some that are sweet while blueberries are in season!)

No comments:

Post a Comment