Saturday, June 23, 2012

Getting Ready for Baby

It's going to be a good day. We've got the brooder box in once again and set up in the living room... babies are coming! And I am excited!!!

A friend of mine that raises chickens has a hen that hid a clutch of eggs and managed to hatch out a beautiful little brood of the healthiest, most bright-eyed little babies I have ever seen... and they are coming to live here!

Out of the dozen little chicks, there will probably be several cockrels, which are freezer fodder when they get big enough, and the hens will be added to the harem. They won't start laying until December or so, but they are hardy little chickens and good layers... so they are worth the extra work.

I really am looking forward to having them. I look forward to the sounds they make throughout the night when they are inside, I look forward to their funny little antics, and I look forward to watching them grow and develop little personalities... of course, I also look forward to the provision they offer. Eggs and meat are a blessing.

All in all, raising chickens is fun and worthwhile. There will be the extra work of building another small coop and fencing off another little area inside the big yard (don't want the big chickens getting aggressive with the babies) and the added expense of start and grow, but at around 10lbs piece for a rooster and an egg every other day from a hen, an extra 12 chickens will offer us $45 dollars worth of meat and an untold amount of eggs. It's worth it to us.

And who knows... maybe I'll get an extra good mama hen who feels like raising her own chicks... then we'll start all over again next spring...

1 comment:

  1. These babies are intelligent! You are going to love having them. You know, having this little batch makes me want to have some of my own next year. I may just try to separate a couple of broodies with Butch next year to see what I get instead of ordering chicks. I love these Black Jersey Giant hens! They are such good mommas. Right now we have five that are broody and grumpy! Haha!

    ReplyDelete