Once again, our differing homeschool approaches are evident. Last time Eric took homeschooling into his own hands (literally) he brought home a very large snake for the kids to look at... This time, it was a badger. (Dead... thankfully...)
Now, Eric has been wanting to get his hands on a roadkill badger for quite a while... he wants to learn to tan hides... So, when he saw this very large, female badger on the side of the road, very dead but in excellent shape, of course he simply couldn't resist bringing her home.

And after showing the kids how long her claws are, how sharp her teeth are and many other different features, he is beginning to skin her. (I took photos at the beginning, then came inside for the smelly part.)
So, while he continues to skin her and disposes of the carcass, I will be looking up information online about badgers... interesting creatures to be sure... but I expect Eric and the kids will learn far more than I do on this one... I'll get him to share though!
Meanwhile, here are a few more photos... nothing gross though... I promise!
![]() | |
| Doing some quick reading. |
![]() | |
| Starting out |
![]() |
| A super tough hide! |
![]() |
| A little more homeschooling |
![]() |
| Hard at work |
![]() |
| So proud! |
Want to learn a little bit more about badgers? They're pretty cool and as always, wikipedia is a great resource! Click here to learn more about Badgers








Had to add a few of the comments that went along with this "lesson"
ReplyDeleteEverest - That was sooooo COOL!
Terran - It's skin is the coolest part! We can turn it into something... like a blanket!
Laeliana - That badger is pretty good.
Best comment yet! Eric and I were talking... Terran wants to know what we are going to do with all the meat on the blanket... Captain Clueless strikes again! (That boy just makes my day!!!)
ReplyDelete